Huge Yogurt Cup Ball

I built a lot of things with yogurt cups.  I made a 3 by 3 foot chandelier out of them, though it didn't work too well.  It sagged, and needed lights.  I could have stuck a hundred candles in the cups, but by the time I lit them all the room would be engulfed in flames.

One thing I didn't build was a giant ball, though I described one in Buried in Cups, in the Corrected Works vanity book linked to here.  One of the first things I made from the cups was a hive-like section of a sphere -- at least I thought a sphere could be made from the sections; the math to confirm it is beyond me, and I have no desire to clog my space with a giant ball just to prove it works.


At any rate, I recently collected enough cups to make the photos here, to show what I mean by hive-like.  It's funny, but yogurt cups stuck together with paper clips seem to inspire me to take sexy ad "product shots" like these, even though I find the idea of hives repellent, and yogurt cups are, after all, just vacated plastic.

I guess it's the hexagonal pattern they form that appeals to me, along with the light-catching curvature, like a cratered surface seen from space.