Foam Fossils

I used to roam the aisles of Kmart looking for interesting stuff.  I've always enjoyed taking an inexpensive product intended for one purpose and using it for something else, even if the total cost in time and brain cells turns out to be higher than buying the "right" thing.

I think of this as the "alchemical urge," the urge to get something for nothing, same as my need to find painting techniques that gave me the final image all at once, "out of thin air," so I wouldn't have to face the tedious labor of filling it in bit by bit.

Kmart had an aisle full of fishing equipment, right there within 60 yards of the Astor Place subway station (for people fishing for junk under sidewalk subway grates, or for two-headed fish in the East River?), with all sorts of interesting lines, lures, hooks and sinkers.

And plastic worms: slimy, rubbery things covered in salty oil (so they taste better to the fish?).  I bought a bag of worms, took them home and spread them on a piece of junk styrofoam, then left it to cook in the sun for a week.  The result is the Intelligently Designed fossil bed above.

If that doesn't prove God planted all the "fossil evidence" for evolution, I don't know what does.