Self-Standing Door

This was the first good art idea I ever had, long ago.  I drew it on graph paper, then picked up some 8 by 4 foot sheetrock, cut it with a box knife and stood it up.

I still like the idea a lot; it reminds me of the one-sheet plywood projects in Popular Mechanics magazine years ago.  The idea of using all of just one sheet of basic material to make something really appeals to me.

A self-standing door may not be as useful as the typical one-sheet project, like a desk or shelves, but it does a lot for a few cuts in a cheap sheet of chalk: it can stand up or lay down, its doors open and close, and you can walk right through it.  Its shape can be converted and returned to the original sheet.

It's like a portable (or, since sheetrock is heavy, maybe just disposable) monument, a humble triumphal arch.  I made the model here out of a 16 by 8 inch piece of foam board.