Flying Sideways

This one is pretty slight anyway, but its chief flaw is its reliance on already outdated technology.

The video is of a simulated flight over a 3D model built from an "elevation map" of some mountains out west that I found back in 2000 or so.  The process was typical: I found free computer programs that read the maps, built the models and let you fly over them, then figured out how to record the flight.

What you see here is just three repetitions of a short flight, turned sideways to get across what I saw: a breathing alpine landscape.  I thought I would show a looping flight on a monitor laying on its side.

But now, just six years after it was made, anyone can experience what used to be restricted to dreams: a slow Google Earth glide over mountains in Mexico, plains in Central Asia, or the neighborhood where they grew up.

So what stands out here is the worn seams of a technology retired at just a few years old.